One of the things I am asked about most, almost daily, is makeup advice. From friends to strangers on the street, people want to know what type of makeup I use or how to apply it. Since I figure I get stopped for a reason..people want to know what looks good in real life, and/or, they have no idea what to use or how to use it, that is how I came up with today’s Top Ten Thursday.
So let’s start with some info. Even though we all have different skin types or makeup needs, the basics should be the same. Keeping your skin clean is a basic, so is evening out the skin is a basic. Which is why I am starting with under eye concealer. Concealer’s purpose is to cover discolored skin, which most of us have under the eye,. If properly matched and used, concealer gives us the appearance of healthy glowing skin after a perfect’s night sleep. Which most of us don’t get; am I right, parents? Concealer, also, is the one basic item that can be used to even out your whole face, regardless of beauty routine or maintenance and is usually portable so you can take it anywhere in anything. Basically, like a one-stop shop; most people can use just a concealer and that is that, while others can use it along with other makeup items. Personally, I spot it around my discolored or problem areas before foundation (i.e. a pimples, corners of the nose, below the bottom lip). I also like to use a concealer that has dual purpose, a product that has other skin benefits like decreasing puffiness or lines.
☞ Before I get to the Top Ten Thursday list of what products I like, let’s talk about how to apply concealer.
Use your hands to warm the product before applying. This is actually something I was taught in 1994 when I started working for a major department store company. ‘Warming’ the product makes it smooth on better (and I use this technique for everything I put on my face, body and even hair!). To warm it up, place a bead of concealer onto your ring finger (which uses the least amount of pressure) and rub it together with your other ring finger for a few seconds. Then dab the concealer to your area of concern, by tapping it directly onto the skin. Dabbing until blended. Then use a blending sponge or brush to even the blending through to the face.
Totally easy, right?! Ok, so now onto my list. Just a FYI, my concealer choices are based on my skin type, which is normal to dry. Since I was 17, I have always leaned towards concealers that hide the look of my specific skin imperfections; uneveness, dryness, dark circles, broken capillaries, pimples.
So.. now here is my list! 🙂
Valeria’s Top Ten Thursday- Under Eye Concealers
- Lancome’s Maquicomplet in Correcteur- This product comes in 24 shades. The color I am suggesting here is Correcteur, a yellow, universal pigment for all tones. This breaks the purplish-red skin, muting it, which will allow you to use foundation over it seamlessly. I like how this is not a thick formula to cover, but uses the yellow pigment to do the work. It is also great when used over a foundation for extra coverage or to highlight your skin, like your brow bone. I have been using this product since I was 16yo. I am now more than double that age, and STILL love it.
- M.A.C.’s Pro Longwear Concealer– This is offered in 16 shades. I am truly obsessed with this concealer and own it in a few shades. The coverage is on the full side, so a little goes a long way. Remember to dab on a small amount to start, then build coverage. This one needs no foundation over it at all. It is also long wearing and matt; because it is a matte formulation you want to really make sure your using your best eye cream (which you should be every day anyways).
- tarte Shape Tape Contour Concealer– This product comes in 30 shades. This concealer is GrEaT at masking pimples and imperfections that other formulas can’t cover. It doesn’t leave that dry caked on look, which bothers me normally. The formula is full coverage, so dab a little on at a time.
- Clinique’s Airbrush Concealer– This product is offered in 9 shades. This concealer has a light diffusing formulation that helps to hide darkness and fills in fine lines. It also comes in a handy twist pen. I like this concealer because it is thin and truly does brighten up my eyes. I have used the colors Fair, Neutral and Illuminate, as my skin color changes with the seasons, and prefer the Illuminate color. It is more of a highlighter for my tone all year round.
- Clinique’s Beyond Perfecting Super Concealer – They offer this in 18 skin tones. This product is thicker than the ones mentioned above, so the technique with this is to take a little bit at a time and dab it on with your finger till it blends in completely (preferably ring finger as it uses less pressure). Since it is so thick you need to build coverage rather than slap it on at once. This one is great for around the face cover-ups. I like this one in the Very Fair because it also acts as a highlighter when I need it.
- Lancôme Effacernes Undereye Concealer– This comes in 16 shades. This concealer’s colors are natural and lightweight; the coverage is build-able. It is also a long wearing product so it works great in the warmer months, or on vacation while at the pool or ocean.
- Benefit Cosmetics Lemon Aid– Ok, this is no longer available through them, they discontinued it last year. WHICH IS A MAJOR BUMMER, but I bought a handful when I heard the news. You can also find some on ebay! This is a yellow pigmented eye lid primer. The consistency of this item was creamy but went on sheer. It works best patted over foundation
- Bobbi Brown Instant Full Cover Concealer– This comes in 15 shades. This concealer is lightweight, but has full coverage power. I bought this right when it launched and just ran out of it. A little goes a long way! It is also long wearing, so it’s great to wear at the sauna! haha
- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Concealer– This formula comes in 48 shades. This product is probably the highest coverage on my list here; dab a little on at a time because buildability gets out of control if you just blob on a lot trying to smooth it on. This formula is also great at reducing puffiness around the eyes, and doesn’t fill into fine lines. Which is great for us who have both bags and lines.. am I right, parents?!!
- L’Oreal True Match Concealer– This comes in 9 shades. For a concealer to be under $10 AND good is rare, but L’Oreal did it. This is an oil free, lightweight but long-lasting formula that uses light diffusing technology to give the dark imperfections no chance. If you tend to have oilier skin/ocular area, definitely recommend this formula. JUST REMEMBER, a little goes a long way!
This was a lot of fun! I love sharing my favorite things, and makeup is my ULTIMATE favorite thing! 🙂